Thursday, May 11, 2006

Patience

Ten years ago, a neighbor that we used to live in our building passed away, she was a very kind lady, we were not friends with her kids but she used to have this motherly attitude towards all the kids. and all the other neighbors used to love her as well (god bless her soul).
She gave my mother a small cactus plant. Since then my mother takes care of it. But the strange thing is, this plant didn’t grow, I know that cactus takes time to grow but it hasn’t changed a bit. still small and is not noticeable compared to the basil that my mom is planting in the balcony. The contrast is high… basil with the beautiful smell, wonderful texture to touch, beautiful green color and this small cactus that looks rough, hurts if touched and has this fading green color. I used to have the feeling that it’s not alive although it didn’t look as it’s dying.
Anyways, my mom never gave up on ever taking care of it. And I discovered that she really loves it… why not, we normally don’t love things because of its beauty or perfection, it’s the meaning or the feeling that we have. Love has a mechanism if I can say that, it’s the object’s significance to us that is absorbed by the heart and reflected back again to the object.
What made me discover that my mom loves this plant is: yesterday when I returned home from work. I found her telling me with a real pleasure that there were small leaves developed from the cactus, I went and had a look and it was true … it’s finally growing. I was happy too …more of the lesson that I have learned.
She loved the plant, just the way it was. She didn’t get bored of taking good care of it while she knew if won’t change. Waiting for ten years didn’t affect or minimize the happiness she felt when it grew. And finally, she wasn’t happy because it will turn to a better plant that decorates the balcony, it was a sign that the plant is alive and isn’t dying.

13 Comments:

  • At 4:48 AM, Blogger Rain said…

    What a nice story!
    And the moral behind is so important,i mean who won't give up if he/she didn't see the fruits of his/her efforts?? unless you really care and still hope.

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Thanks ya Rain, hope you are feeling better now sweetie.
    Yes it made me think about how we love things for what it is not what it can be.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger lifeflaw said…

    "We normally don’t love things because of its beauty or perfection..."
    That's a very true idea... I am trying now to think why we love certain things and not love others? This is worth contemplating for me. :)

     
  • At 3:19 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    I am trying to think why too, had some answers ... but I am not totally convinced, did u think of anything ?

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger lifeflaw said…

    Thinking can take me several days and weeks! I prefer to take my time thinking about an issue. :)

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Wonderer said…

    Maybe the plant was mournig its first owner.
    Lovely post ya nesrina, I really enjoyed reading it.

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    May be ya Wonderer... plants feel too. Thanks sweetie.

     
  • At 2:31 AM, Blogger roora said…

    yeah a very nice post enjoyed it

     
  • At 2:51 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Many thanks ya Roora, I am so pleased.

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger Norm Shaw said…

    Nesreen,

    Thanks for a wonderful story! I fear we all get discouraged too soon from not seeing change from the things that we do or want. I will remember your story of patience.

    Best! Norm.

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Thanks so much Norm,
    U know it reminded me of that part of "Alchemist"

    " ... we've learned as we've
    moved toward that dream. That's the point at which most people give up.
    It's the point at which, as we say in the language of the desert, one 'dies of
    thirst just when the palm trees have appeared on the horizon.'
    "Every search begins with beginner's luck. And every search ends with the
    victor's being severely tested."

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger doshar said…

    roora once accidentally spilled some seven up onto a cactus plant.. and it really bloomed! try that.

    you know, i have 2 turtles, i have had htem for about 4 years now,and i do not think that they grow at all either. although they are alive... they do not look any bigger... i guess that is the probleb with things that live longer than we do... we do not get to see their progress in comparison to ours... so we think that it is static. the same for alot of things in this world... things can be changing... but we are to impatient to see it and wait out.

    good post. :)

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Thanks ya Doshar,
    I will try Roora's method :)
    and you defnetly have a point... they don't grow as fast as we do, but they do live LONGER :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home