Friday, May 05, 2006

Great Expectations

The wonderful novel by Charles Dickens, and one of my favorites, although I never knew who exactly had these expectations. In the novel, it has mentioned that Pip had great expectations; in my opinion they all had their expectations. But yes may be the greatest expectations belonged to Pip. The reason was that his expectation was to be up to Estella's expectations. So in comparison he had the greatest expectations.
Some people including myself fell in the trap of trying and working to be up to someone else's expectations, some other people exert great effort to be up to everyone's expectations. but usually it ends up in disappointment.
So is it something that can be practiced? I wonder if I have zero expectations how life would look like. Well, it has its pros and cons, but there will surely be a lot of surprises.
Oddly enough we normally don't know what do others expect. And they don't know what are our expectations too… so we are all left with some possibilities and assumptions. And the ones who care will always torture themselves that may be what they did wasn't enough.
There is only one way to know anyways, try !. I am beginning to think, the more positive way is to work not expect. I am not comfortable at my current job so I would better look for another, I don't want to expect someone's call turn the phone off. I am becoming less patient, but may be I need to be less patient, I have waited long enough and why don't I be more impulsive… don't really know.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger Norm Shaw said…

    Nesreen,

    Buddha said that you must find peace in yourself and that you must let the material world pass over you without affecting you...like water over the back of a duck.

    It's a lot easier said than done, but this has been something I have always worked towards. I see beauty in others, but have no expectation of them. They show me aspects of the beauty within me and within all of us...of the beauty of God.

    Best! Norm.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    " I see beauty in others, but have no expectation of them"
    I guess that's what we should learn to do... and more importantly, we should quit trying to guess others expectations and strive to meet them. it's draining and doesn't make sense.
    In the end we find that we are exerting an effort that no one is aware of .

    But away from that, I really want your opinion if you have read “Great Expectations”, who had the great expectations … Pip ? What made them great …?

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Norm Shaw said…

    It has been a loooong time since I read the book, but here's what I came away with...

    Pip had great expectations and was fixated on Estella as an object of the approval and love that he seeked. Pip sees her as better than himself because of the bias of society (rich and cultured people are good and to be admired). Pip assumes that his fortunes come from this source (the woman...I can't remember her name) and is surprised that they actually come from the lowly convict that he helped as a boy.

    Thus, Dickens tells me that the convict and the poor boy might be more deserving of my love and respect than the rich widow and the beautiful high-society girl. He also shows that we never know where our kindnesses might come back to us and that we shouldn't be stingy with them or only show them to people that we think deserve them...

    By the way, I hope you will try not to worry too much about others expectations of you...from half a world away, I can see that you are beautiful and special...those close to you will see that too.

    Best! Norm.

     
  • At 2:50 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Well Norm, I am so thankful for your thorough answer. Pip had great expectations that is true. I sympathized with him to although I did sympathize with the old woman too (Miss Havisham), I hated her expectations though and what she did to both Estella and Pip.
    I liked what you said that kindness always finds its way back to us.

    Anyways, I won’t worry about the expectations, will try not to … :)

    Many thanks Norm !

     

Post a Comment

<< Home