Tuesday, April 11, 2006

If it means anything to anybody

One of the things that I have learned, is not to always do what you want, sometimes you have to do what others want if that makes them happy. My aunt taught me that and I am very grateful.
A question suddenly arose; what if I didn't realize how much my action would mean to that particular person. Gave it some thinking and the answer … I have nothing to loose, after all making someone happy is so much worth it.
I myself can be very happy with a very little effort.
I am invited to a dinner tomorrow isA and I really don't want to go. Politics wise, I have to be there. But I am not that kind anyways so why the heck.
The whole department is going and they think I am going to. Can't say now I am not gonna. because there will be a lot of : WHYs and you have to and things like that.
I decided to leave it to the last minute and then excuse myself.
I am not sure if that's right. But if I referred it back to the rule … that I would get out of my comfort zone and be willing to walk an extra mile if it means something to another person other than me. in other words, it's Wednesday I would like much more to go out with my friends and give myself a break from the work and business conversations.
To be honest, I don't think it does mean anything to go to that dinner, so case closed … I am not going.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger ayman_elgendy said…

    in my life 1000000 rules .if i reffered everything to the rules i,ll be totally out of my comfort zone.......it,s acruel life . we have to make dicisions according to the priorities ,1st of all being my self instead of pretending. it feels better

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    Ayman,
    The way you prioritize things has to rely entirely on how important and urgent they are inline with your principles and values- that's my own point of view. And that makes you who you are.
    So I am not pretending to be someone else or a hypocrite just because I am trying to apply what I have been brought up to believe, it is part of who I am.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger The new kid in the blogger said…

    so did you go after all? let me guess? no I will keep my guess but I promise say it when you tell me :))

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    I didn't go :). what was your guess ? tell me ... tell me.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger The new kid in the blogger said…

    that you wouldnt go :)) no the truth is I thought you will go, I guess I have to read the post more carefully next time to get the right signals.

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger lifeflaw said…

    IMHO, what we should learn to do is to prioritize our self interest above all. This is very difficult for a person who is used to altruism; I think this is the case of many of us. :)

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    NK,
    You were right, I hoped that I could stand up for my feeling not to go but I also knew that if anyone urged I would go. so to tell you the truth I went to work with no idea if I will go or not. the day was so hectic and I was exhausted so 5:30 I left without talking to anyone.
    you were right :)), seems that the signals were mixed.

    Ahmad,
    Look you are right, but to tell you the truth I won't like myself if I started to weigh things according to their importance to me regardless of anyone else... by the time, it will be complete selfishness and I don't think we can afford to be selfish people...
    things are better this way.

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger lifeflaw said…

    Well, everytime I put the benefit of others as priority, I end up regretting it.
    I agree, it is not good to be selfish, and it is angelic if we can be altruistic, but does anyone deserve this? If yes, it would be very few.

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Nesrina said…

    They are few, but as much as the selfish attitude hurts me, I can't affort hurting another person even if I am not sure he/she is among the few.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home